Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Faith the Hard Way

Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him. And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you. But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat? And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink? Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not. So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. Luke 17:3-10 KJV

I think this is one of my favorite passages about faith because it doesn't fit into any popular concept of faith. Let's hit the highlights.

Jesus said, if your brother sins and repents, even seven times in a day, forgive him.

The apostles said, "Increase our faith."

Pretty straightforward, eh? Either the apostles didn't understand faith, or we don't. Since Jesus didn't say, "you silly people" I'm guessing we're the ones who have it wrong.

Next, Jesus gives an example of sufficient faith to cause a tree to move from point A to point B. It's here where many people interpret faith as either positive thinking or confident wishing. Unfortunately, they stop reading too soon, because the very next sentence starts with the word "But" which indicates that Jesus wasn't done speaking yet.

Jesus goes on to tell a story about a master and a servant. He explains that the master does not cater to the servant, but the servant to the master. He also points out that the master does not even think to thank the servant. He says nothing about the servant expecting thanks and you come away from the story thinking that this is a typical arrangement. (It doesn't matter if you agree with the arrangement or not, the illustration still stands).

After Jesus is done with his story he says, "So likewise ye..." and then equates the apostles, and by extension all who hear this lesson, with the servant by telling them that when they have done all that they have been commanded, they need to recognize that they are still unprofitable servants. In other words, complete obedience is the minimum expectation. There are no brownie points for doing the minimum.

Remember that this story was told as a response to the apostles request to increase their faith. Just how, you may ask, does this address that issue? It deals with faith by laying out an explicit hierarchy; a chain of command. And, if the apostles are the servant, then God is the master.

What Jesus is telling the apostles is that faith is increased by understanding your place in relation to God and living within that place. A little bit ago we looked at the Roman centurion who said, "I am a man under authority..." and Jesus said he had not seen such great faith. Whenever we see Jesus directly address the issue of faith, he speaks of a hierarchy and our place in it.

What does a hierarchy of authority have to do with moving a tree? Well, Jesus said that if you had the faith of a mustard seed you could move a tree. Too often people concentrate on the size of the mustard seed and think that you need only a small amount of faith. I think that Jesus was using something simple to illustrate the passive nature of faith. The mustard seed is what it is and operates within the bounds set for it by creation.

We are to do likewise. If we look back to the garden, we see that man was given authority over all of creation. In relation to creation, man is the master and creation is the servant. Jesus is saying that if we operate within our position in the hierarchy, submitting to God, we will command nature. Faith allows for a delegation of authority.

And what, pray tell, does this have to do with forgiving our brother (read fellow human)? If we recognize that a sin against us is really the outworking of a failure to live up to the commandments of God, then we see that all sin is ultimately an affront to God. And, as one who is submitted to God; beneath Him in the hierarchy, then it is not our place to effect justice or exact retribution, and thus forgiveness is the appropriate response.

My understanding of faith is not necessarily in line with some of the more popular understandings, but I believe it is consistent with scripture and more importantly an understanding that can be effectively incorporated and communicated.

Faith is not wishing. Faith is not magic. Faith is knowledge. Faith is power. But, faith is hard.

8 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Rocketstar said...

"Master and Servant" is one of the reasons why I disagree with ANY organized religion.

If God is my master, he surely does a horrible job informing me of what exactly he wants from me.

The cryptic, misinterpretable, contradictory Bible is not a very good guide.

For or against?
MAT 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
(default is against)

MAR 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.
(default is for)

LUK 9:50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.
(default is for)

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Russel Trojan said...

"... why I disagree with ANY organized religion"

And you won't get any argument from me about organized religion. I'm sure I know more than you about how they work, having been on the inside.

But, that's not what I'm advocating. My emphasis is on relationship, and in the long run, the relationship between God and man is not unlike that between a father and child.

The egalitarian myth of the American mind too often distorts the ability to accept a hierarchical relationship. Yet, good parents have them with their children, and good employers have them with their employees. They are not totally foreign to us.

As for God informing us of what He wants, I'm sure it's rather bothersome for God to continually attempt to communicate with a species that doesn't particularly want to hear. My guess is that most people don't hear because if they did, they might have to change what their doing, and that would be a real bother.

Now, the cryptic part seems to me to be more confusion than anything else. It seems that we have a difficult time recognizing our own desires and motives and getting them out of the way and thus we see a mixture of God and us. Which turns out to be terribly confusing.

The Bible is not an instruction manual and attempting to read it as such is counter productive.

The contradictions you cite are in two different contexts. The passage from Mark and the passage from Luke are the same story by two writers. But in the context of the statements, you'll see that they are about two different groups of people with two different attitudes about the activities of Jesus.

In Matthew, Jesus is referring to people who accuse him of being in cahoots with the devil. In the other story, Jesus is referring to those who are doing the same work as He, but are not part of His organization if you will.

The statements are not contradictory, but a difference of perspective based on an attitude toward the work of Christ.

I don't contend that Christianity is easy or comfortable, but that it is consistent and reasonable.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Rocketstar said...

russel,

I love that you are not the proverbial "religious wacko" and I wish that all Christians were of your mold. A lot of my "ranting" is pointed towards those folk, not you.


"As for God informing us of what He wants, I'm sure it's rather bothersome for God to continually attempt to communicate with a species that doesn't particularly want to hear."

-- Would not an Omnipotent God know that "releasing" his "guidance" to humans 2000 years ago is not the BEST method of getting his "views/wants" across to the human race as we were uneducate and ignorant folk?

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Tom Gagne said...

"A little bit ago we looked at the Roman centurion who said, 'I am a man under authority...' and Jesus said he had not seen such great faith."

When did we cover that? I didn't read that. Was it in another post I may have missed?

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Tom Gagne said...

Rocketstar, is it possible God has ordained others we haven't listened to? Perhaps Russ has a ministry even unknown to him. Billy Graham was a great minister many didn't listen to. Mother Theresa, John Paul II, and many others have tried speaking to us but we haven't heard.

God's expectations aren't a mystery, but as Russ said, they're awfully bothersome.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Rocketstar said...

hey thomas,

"...is it possible God has ordained others we haven't listened to? "
--- An OMNIPOTENT being would have little trouble getting us to listen to it.

Mother Theresa, was no "Mother Theresa". Her image has been blown OUT of proportion by the "world".

I wish that "Gods Expectations" were a lot more decipherable. I would assume that an Omnipotent being could accomplish better.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Russel Trojan said...

Rocketstar, old buddy, old pal, old chum. Rant away because without passion we'd be hollow. And wouldn't that be boring?

Now, "releasing his guidance to humans 2000 years ago ..." is a view that causes problems. Mainly because I'm not convinced that God was done guiding 2000 years ago. There is no evidence, zero, zip, none to suggest that God has stopped interacting with creation.

Part of the reason the Bible is so confusing is because it is specifically addressed to people of 2000+ years ago and the specifics have changed. And if you're trying to follow 2000+ year old instructions, you're bound to get confused. Who offers meat to idols these days anyway?

The importance of the Bible is to understand the attitudes of God because He's still communicating today. And since He will not contradict Himself ("I am the Lord thy God, I change not"; or "God is not a man that He should lie"), the Bible provides a reference to allow us to filter out many of our own attitudes so we can better recognize when God is communicating.

I'm convinced of this because I continue to communicate with my children even though they're hovering around 30. And since I am in the image and likeness of God, I can deduce that the desire to communicate in me also exists in God. The trick is to identify the communication and that's difficult when we often don't want the communication.

Could God just pop understanding into us? Why sure He could, but just as a parent desires understanding in a child, and wants them to discover certain truths on their own, so God, I believe, wants us to go through a maturing process.

I remember being quite confused by my parents as a child growing up. And I remember my kids being confused by me (and that has nothing to do with the bowling shoe incident). So, I don't find it unusual to be sometimes confused by God. I think it's a natural thing and time and understanding will cause it to subside.

Now look what you've made me do! I've got almost another blog post just responding to you. ;-)

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Russel Trojan said...

Tom asked, "When did we cover that? I didn't read that. Was it in another post I may have missed?"

From May 5

http://rreligion.blogspot.com/2006/05/have-faith.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home