Sunday, November 05, 2006

Giving or Getting

Sac·ra·ment : noun

Etymology: Middle English sacrement, sacrament, from Anglo-French
& Late Latin; Anglo-French, from Late Latin sacramentum, from Latin, oath of
allegiance, obligation, from sacrare to consecrate


a : a Christian rite (as baptism or the Eucharist) that is believed
to have been ordained by Christ and that is held to be a means of divine grace
or to be a sign or symbol of a spiritual reality

b : a religious rite or observance comparable to a Christian
sacrament

from Webster.com


Sacraments, in a Christian context are those practices of special significance. To most non-Catholic Christians the sacraments (baptism and communion) are rites that are required by Christians; they are symbols of obedience, yet not necessarily affective. To Catholics, the sacraments (they count seven) are actions that allow them to receive specific grace from God.

I think both are missing something important, though I believe non-Catholics are at least looking in the right direction.

In the definition quoted above there is a phrase that I've never noticed before; "oath of allegiance." As I came to understand Christianity, I came to realize that the sacraments were more than mere symbols. I could not, however, get comfortable with the idea that I performed these rites to get something. The sacraments became practices that I respected and desired to perform.

Not until I found the phrase "oath of allegiance" did I have some way to understand my desire. It is allegiance in particular that strikes a chord with me. I am familiar with oaths, promises, vows and commitments; I understand these things. But the idea of allegiance is what make both Catholic and non-Catholic perspectives of the sacraments incomplete.

You see, you can get obedience through intimidation. But even with perfect obedience, you do not necessarily have allegiance. You can buy cooperation with gifts, but that cooperation does not naturally lead to allegiance. Allegiance is something we choose and cannot be coerced.

We pledge our allegiance to someone or something because we see that it is right and good. We are loyal to what we see as true. We dedicate ourselves to those people and ideas that represent the standard that we desire to live up to. Allegiance comes from deep within us and causes us to go contrary to the crowd. Allegiance cannot be cajoled or forced.

The sacraments are an oath of allegiance. Baptism is an identification with the truth as lived by Jesus. Communion is a participation in the very life and death of Christ. These are actions that make statements about who we are and who we want to be. The sacraments are not acts of obedience, or a way to get something. The sacraments are the most profound acts a Christian can perform.

1 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Tom Gagne said...

What a great introduction to your epistle on baptism I've been waiting to read...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home