Sunday, December 31, 2006

Something Is Wrong

Many Christians have blogs. Some of them are pastors. In my experience, pastors' blogs are the most tedious and least interesting to read. I frequently read blogs of other Christians looking for new understandings; different ways of seeing God and His interaction with creation. Why is it that those who are, theoretically, trained to communicate spiritual truth are (by my measure) the most ineffective?

The layman is not expected to educate; he is an amateur. Yet it is the layman who asks the real questions; searches for real answers; truly finds God in his daily life. It is the layman who seeks truth. It is the layman who attempts to work out his salvation with fear and trembling. It is the layman who must confront the world and defend the faith. The evidence and documentation of these realities is in their blogs.

It is the pastors, the professional Christians, who are charged with preparing the laymen. It is the pastors who are responsible for seeing that their charges have the tools necessary to accomplish their tasks. It is the pastors who are accountable for the effectiveness of their laymen.

But what do we find in the writings of pastors? For the most part, I've found little more than drivel; sappy platitudes, the latest preaching technique and rah rah cheering (much of which seems forced).

"I feel as if God is moving ..." is a common phrase used by professionals. What, pray tell, does that mean? If the pastors do not KNOW what God is doing how can they possibly lead with any confidence. Are they so afraid of being wrong that they hedge their bets? Or, are they so unfamiliar with God Himself that they are incapable of knowing God's intentions?

Where are the leaders of the faith? I am not referring to those who are most popular or respected, or those who "name it and claim it," but those that proclaim God with a backbone. Those who see that arguing about the placement of a Nativity scene is a waste of time. Those who are training effective disciples and not being encumbered by political (secular and denominational) nonsense.

My Bible says, "...all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." (2 Timothy 3:12) I will sadly admit that I have never suffered persecution. By that I mean that I have never been threatened with loss of anything other than social esteem for my belief in Christ. I view this as my failure. With all the talk of a "War on Christmas" and the anti-Christian media, you'd think that persecution would be a bit more common. Where are the persecuted? (And for clarity sake, I'm speaking of only North American Christians)

Twenty years ago I was a new pastor. I applied to the denomination I grew up in and eventually was told that my participation was not desired. During my tenure, I looked for ways to bring life to my church. I read books, went to seminars and took classes. I find it most sad that the same issues that were prevalent then are still prevalent today. And I find it even sadder that the same solutions (that apparently didn't work then) are still proffered today.

Something is seriously wrong. It was wrong twenty years ago, and is still wrong today. Why?

1 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Tom Gagne said...

I was encouraged by a visit to a Baptist church. There I was struck by how the pastor applied scripture to our daily lives. He didn't talk about scripture for scripture's sake, or tell stories about good people doing good things. He talked about the responsibility wives had to their husbands, husband to their wives, and both to their children.

He talked about the struggles Christians face in their daily lives trying to live them as Christians, encouraged his members to walk with Christ, gave them guidance and strength from scripture, and begged them to extend mercy and forgiveness to others as they pray God may extend to them.

I miss that church and those sermons. I admit my pastor's sermons don't satisfy those needs as frequently as I need them. I asked him once about that and was told he steers deliberately wide of social and political issues so to avoid angering our church's members.

That, I think, is sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home